- The item must be brand-new. Not last year’s brand-new, this year’s brand-new. It should be unopened, never played with, never worn, washed or tried out. It should be in its original undamaged packaging.
- Be sure the person who gave you the gift doesn’t know (or know of) the person receiving the gift.
- Never re-gift something you’ve had in your closet for a few years or lying in the basement unused.
- The re-gift should not be something horrible you’re re-gifting just to get rid of it, or to avoid spending money on the receiver.
- Never re-gift items someone has hand-made for you.
- Take the time to re-wrap the gift and attach new bows or ribbons.