Try asking THESE instead:
* What did you eat for lunch?
* Did you catch anyone picking their nose?
* What games did you play at recess?
* What was the funniest thing that happened today?
* Did anyone do anything super nice for you?
* What was the nicest thing you did for someone else?
* Who made you smile today?
* Which one of your teachers would survive a zombie apocalypse? Why?
* What new fact did you learn today?
* Who brought the best food in their lunch today? What was it?
* What challenged you today?
* If school were a ride at the fair, which ride would it be? Why?
* What would you rate your day on a scale of 1 to 10? Why?
* If one of your classmates could be the teacher for the day who would you want it to be? Why?
* If you had the chance to be the teacher tomorrow, what would you teach the class?
* Did anyone push your buttons today?
* Who do you want to make friends with but haven’t yet? Why not?
* What is your teacher’s most important rule?
* What is the most popular thing to do at recess?
* Does your teacher remind you of anyone else you know? How?
* Tell me something you learned about a friend today.
* If aliens came to school and beamed up 3 kids, who do you wish they would take? Why?
* What is one thing you did today that was helpful?
* When did you feel most proud of yourself today?
* What rule was the hardest to follow today?
* What is one thing you hope to learn before the school year is over?
* Which person in your class is your exact opposite?
* Which area of your school is the most fun?
* Which playground skill do you plan to master this year?
* Does anyone in your class have a hard time following the rules?
How do YOU avoid “Fine…nothing”…?