How are your New Year’s Resolutions coming along? If you’re like me – the old-fashioned type who still makes them.
For me, they’ve worked to keep me on track with a specific life goal – be it a tangible achievement like skydiving or seeing the Eiffel Tower, or general improvement in a certain facet of life: physical health, stress, financial management etc.
If you remember, I said in January that I’d set a goal to run a half marathon (21km) within the calendar year. I even said it on the air as a small way of holding myself accountable. Since January 6th, I’ve been working behind the scenes to prepare. I love athletics, but this is was a brand new challenge worthy of much more endurance and ability than anything I’d done before.
Sacrifices? Heck yes. Those times at the end of a long work day when I just wanted to plop on the couch and snooze? I went out running instead. Weekend BBQ’s missed because Sundays are training days? Yes, unfortunately. And cutting back on beer? Man.
This week, I crossed the finish line of my first half marathon, and crossed “run a half marathon” off of the “Goals for 2015” list posted on my fridge. Makes me happy! -Adam
PopSugar just put out a pretty insightful new list: “13 Things You Must Give Up to Be Happy”
- Bad spending habits! Stop accumulating debt. Make a budget and stick to it!
- Waiting for the perfect moment. There’s never the perfect time. Live in the moment.
- Give up you social media obsession.
- Give up living in the past.
- Give up yearning to fit in.
- Give up your disorganized lifestyle.
- Give up over-analyzing situations.
- Give up your need to have the best things.
- Give up toxic relationships.
- Give up your hesitation to indulge. Have fun every now and then.
- Give up comparing yourself to others.
- Give up your packed schedule.
- Give up relying on others to make you feel happy and fulfilled.